Tuesday, June 5, 2012

HomesInShaw Interviews Business Owner Erica Skolnik, Owner of Frenchie's Pastries & Desserts

Frenchie's, a dessert and pastries company run out of Shaw's popular Seasonal Pantry and SunDeVich, can be said to be a hidden gem within a gem.  Seasonal Pantry and SunDeVich just took both first and second place for Best New Small Business 2011.  Frenchie's, owned and founded by Erica Skolnik, has undoubtedly contributed to the success of Shaw's favorite new businesses.

Erica Skolnik is the creative force behind Frenchie's.  I had the privilege to sit down with her at Seasonal Pantry on June 4th, 2012 and discuss with her her story, the origin of Frenchie's, and her thoughts about Shaw.  Below is the interview by HomesInShaw.


Kevin:  Well I really appreciate you taking twenty minutes out of your busy day to sit and meet with me, Erica. 

Erica:  Oh it's not a problem.  I love talking about Shaw, and I love talking about Frenchie's, so I look forward to the interview.

Kevin:  Great.  So, how about we begin with a little bit of your background?

Erica:  Well, I've been baking forever and have always been involved in restaurants and cooking.  When my parents were pushing me to get a degree in business, I stayed true to my passions and majored with an undergraduate degree in Restaurant Management.  After that, I headed out to California.  It had always been a dream of mine to go to culinary school so I finally did.  I attended the Culinary Institute of America (CIA) in Napa, specializing in their pastry program. 

Kevin:  What is one of the important, broad lessons you took from your studying at CIA?

Erica:  It allowed me to organically develop m own style.  I like this sound byte when describing my food:  "I want it to look really delicious.  I want it to taste really delicious."  (laughs)  You know? 

Kevin:  Sure.  You want to cut out all the nonsense and just contain the essence of the food's taste.  So when did you move back home from California?

Erica:  Well I moved back to D.C. because I missed it.  And I knew that when I came back to D.C. I wanted to attempt my goal of starting up my own business.  I knew that is what I really wanted to do.

Kevin: So how did that go?

Erica:  Well, finding a commercial space to share in D.C. is difficult.  Obviously you want a good space where the scheduling will accommodate your business.  You want the owners of the space and the landlords to treat you right.  So, for a long time I didn't find anything.  After looking around a little bit, I decided to sell in farmer's markets.

Kevin:  Did that work out?

Erica: Serendipitously I met Dan O'Brien at a local cheese shop.  He told me he was starting Seasonal Pantry and we spoke about connecting.  So instead of being in a farmer's market, I decided to produce for a food market, Seasonal Pantry.

Kevin:  So what about the name?  "Frenchie's?"

Erica:  My husband is also really into food.  While brainstorming about the name, he said, "we need something homey, retro...we love France and Parisian pastries...what about 'Frenchie's'?"  And the name stuck.

Kevin:  Very cool.  Can you talk about the "classes" you offer and the "pop-ups?"

Erica:  The classes are offered every so often.  We can schedule private baking classes at someone's home or at Seasonal Pantry. They can contact me for details.  The classes are instructional and involve all things baking.  We do something different each time and it is a lot of fun.  The "pop-ups" are more of tasting the bakery.  We have everything set out to buy and eat.  You walk in and you are looking at what slice of pie you want to eat.

Kevin:  So the classes the guests actively learn, and the pop-ups the guests actively indulge?

Erica:  (laughs).  Sure!  

(While I ask Erica these questions, she is moving throughout the kitchen effortlessly, baking and prepping numerous things.  She moves towards the oven to take out a cake).

Kevin:  What is coming out of the oven?

Erica:  This is a chocolate zucchini cake

Kevin:  Sounds delicious.  What else is on your baked goods line-up?

Erica:  Lemon Blackberry Whoopie Pies, Blueberry Kuchen, croissants, various cookies; a variety of pastries, sticky buns, and breads.  I can talk to the customer about what it is they are trying to plan for and we plan from scratch.  I like to think I can bake whatever it is they desire for whatever occasion.  Special orders from customers are my favorites because its always a unique and creative experience. 
  
Kevin:  What are you working on right now? 

Erica:  Right now, at this very moment I am working on organizing the plan to cook 14 pies in one day for a wedding. 

Kevin:  Wow.  How can you cook 14 pies in one day?

Erica:  With a lot of planning (laughs).  It's for a wedding.  There seems to be a neat idea out there catching on with weddings.

Kevin:  Which is?

Erica:  Rather than a wedding cake get a lot of different pies and/or pastries and let the guests taste a lot of different things instead of one cake.  I am also very excited to be working with another couple for pies for a ceremony in October.

Kevin:   What about the neighborhood Shaw?  Why are you selling your stuff here?
Erica:  Well, the space was here and I live in Petworth.  Shaw and Petworth are my two favorite D.C. neighborhoods.  My base is here, and the support I get from these two communities is surreal.  And Shaw is so diverse, so active.  There is just this really great vibe running through Shaw.  It is also family oriented.  As a mother of a two-year-old, I think about the neighborhood I want my child to grow up in family-friendly neighborhood, and Shaw truly captivates that. 

Kevin:  Well, it is easy to see why the neighborhood knows you.  Your personability is very inclusive

Erica:  I just love people.  I love croissants, I love food, and I love making people happy (Laughs).  That love for people is where the idea for the storefront comes in.

Kevin:  Storefront?

Erica:  Mentally I am 100% ready to open up my own bakery.  I feel a bakery in Petworth or Shaw would be a success since the neighborhoods are very residential and people love to buy food.  So I feel comfortable thinking about opening up something in one of those two neighborhoods.

Kevin:  Well I know either neighborhood would benefit greatly with your presence, and I really appreciate this interview and your time, Erica.

Erica:  It's my pleasure.  Thank you so much for the opportunity.  

No comments:

Post a Comment