Thursday, June 21, 2012

Shaw REALTOR® interviews Che Mille-Vierra of SugaMama Sweets

As a Real Estate Agent specializing in Shaw, and through my website HomesInShaw.com I write a blog which interviews the business proprietors of Shaw.  This week, I had the pleasure of interviewing Che Miller-Vierra, Owner of SugaMama Sweets.  SugaMama Sweets offers some of the best frozen novelties that can be found in Shaw.  Below is the interview where Che speaks about her life before cooking, how she met paths with her dream to start a business, and her attraction to Shaw.  



Kevin:  Che, as a real estate agent who specializes in Shaw, I really appreciate you sitting down to speak with me about your up-and-coming business, SugaMama Sweets.

Che:  I’m glad to talk about SugaMama Sweets.  It’s my life (laughs).

Kevin:  Let’s talk about how you got here.

Che:  Well, I have had different jobs in the past.  I spent five years teaching at Thompson Elementary School on 12th and L.  After some years at teaching, I felt a very organic pull to go into cooking, which has always been a deep-rooted passion of mine.  I love to cook, but I never thought about a making it a career out of it until after I retired.  So I went to culinary school at L’Academie de Cuisine in Gaithersburg.

Kevin:  And after culinary school, where did you go?  

Che:  I started at the Oval Room for a while.  Then I found a job on the Red Hook Lobster Truck (an extension of the Red Hook Lobster Pound in Red Hook Brooklyn).  I did a lot of different things at first so I could get a sense of different business models.  Originally I thought I wanted to own a food truck.  After working with Red Hook Lobster, which is an awesome experience, I’ve realized it is a lot more complicated than I thought.  So I decided to start simpler and dedicate myself to a focused niche.  

Kevin:  So you instead found your own niche, small and simple enough for you to control.  

Che:  Exactly.  I decided to work solely with ice cream sandwiches and frozen novelties.  I found my niche in something tiny and sweet, packing big and original flavors.  Thus was born SugaMama Sweets. 

Kevin:  And you are currently selling your frozen novelties out of a few different places. 

Che:  Yes.  Mainly Seasonal Pantry and the Red Hook Lobster Truck.  It’s going well.  I’m very thankful to have a place like Seasonal Pantry, as well as the truck.  Seasonal Pantry is stationary though…

Kevin:…as opposed to a mobile truck…

Che:…and I’m seeing how a business in one place can be a benefit for one’s brand. In many ways the logistics are just easier.  It has been a gift that Dan O’Brien has shared his space with me.  I am very thankful for that as well as the support from Red Hook which really helped SugaMama get off the ground.

Kevin:  You also have the “Sandwich Club.”  

Che:  Yes, we also have the sandwich club, which we call the Ice Cream Goodness Club. Basically you get a monthly dose of our handcrafted ice cream or ice cream sandwiches made from all natural, and primarily local ingredients. You can find out more by checking out our newsletter http://bit.ly/KxNSzq

Kevin:  Now, SugaMama Sweets is two people, correct?  

Che:  Yes.  Myself and my partner, Lyndsey Miller-Vierra.  She has complete control over the communications and operational side.  I’m the one behind the food, trying to keep people with a sweet tooth consistently coming back to try SugaMama Sweets’ new flavors.  

Kevin:  What about the frozen novelties?

Che:  Our signature flavor is the S’More.  It’s toasted marshmallow, ice cream, graham cracker and a little bit of chocolate.  We have the Cracker Jack, which is caramel popcorn  ice cream and peanut butter graham cracker.  It’s got that salty-sweet thing going for it.  

Kevin:  What else?

Che:  Shake and Fries, which is chocolate ice cream and a “French fry” cookie…think about dipping your French fries into a milk shake.  I tried to get it to taste like that.  And the Irish Car Bomb:  an ice cream sandwich based on the drink.  Our goal is to find a sandwich for everybody.  

Kevin:  Which gets to our next question, what is it like starting up your own business?

Che:  Well, it’s scary.  You put your heart into something and there is the possibility it will fail.  At the same time it’s exciting because you are looking at something which really could succeed.  Much of the reason I got into this is because my heart really rests in this.  My earliest memories are of food and the people who fed me.  I still remember the people who fed me in my earliest years.  Some sort of wonderful connection takes place between the cook, the food, and the served.  I like being a part of that.

Kevin:  How do you go about the creative process?

Che:  I am always looking for flavor combinations starting with my observations of real food combinations.  It doesn’t start with the ice cream.  For example, beer and pretzels are classic.  I then put myself to the challenge of making an ice cream sandwich that tasted like the combination of beer and pretzels . . . only better!  It could work but if it doesn’t at least I’ve had fun trying! And what if you were having breakfast and some syrup rolled off of your waffles into your bacon?   Thus we created a bacon and waffle ice-cream sandwich.  People either love or hate that one (laughs).

Kevin:  So why Shaw?  Why not somewhere else?

Che:  I just love Shaw because Shaw is a good place to get a sense of D.C. history.  After the riots in 1968 Shaw went through its struggles.  Shaw is an integral part of D.C. and the history is important.  I’ve been living next to Shaw for a decade and have seen it change incredibly.  There have been houses boarded up since the riots that are only now being renewed.  And I used to teach in Shaw, so I have students who now are playing an active part of the community.  Recently one of my students was part of a Duke Ellington exhibition at the Kennedy Center.  Another student now works at the garden center right around the corner.  So I’ve had a stake in Shaw for a number of years and it felt natural to begin my business here.  Shaw is very motivated, very proud.  I love the energy of Shaw.

Kevin:  Che, thanks so much for giving the time for this interview.  I wish SugaMama Sweets the very best of luck.

Che:  My pleasure.  This has been great. 

(Photos courtesy of Rachel Tepper, Authorized by Lyndsey Miller-Vierra)

No comments:

Post a Comment